Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:29:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Jack Raats <jack@raats.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding an usb harddisk

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Jack Raats wrote:

> I want to add an usb harddisk.
> Acoording to fdisk it's formatted as a "NTFS/HPFS/QNX" disk
> Can I add this disk and still using this file system?

NTFS is a Windows filesystem. You can't install FreeBSD to it but you can
mount and use the volume.  See the mount_ntfs manpage for restrictions on
our NTFS support.

You can mount it using 'mount -t ntfs /dev/daXXXX /YYYY' if you don't want
to make a UFS filesystem. (replace XXXX with device name and YYYY with
desired mountpoint.)

If you do want to reformat it for UFS, see the article on formatting media
at www.freebsd.org for instructions.

> What kind of dev/fstab do I need to add?

Its like an existing one, just change the filesystem type from 'ufs' to
'ntfs'.

> Do I need an extra swap slice?  How to make one?

Not unless you want one, but if you do you probably need to destroy the
NTFS filesystem to make space.

> I'm using FreeBSD 4.11.

NTFS support there may not be as mature as the one in 5.x.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org