Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:12:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Steve Price wrote:

> I certainly never said that, though I do believe that FreeBSD is
> more stable than Linux for a variety of other reasons. :)  Of course,
> you know that arguing the stability of Linux vs. FreeBSD on a FreeBSD
> won't necessarily always get unbiased remarks in response.

I'm trying to avoid an OS war, mostly because everyone'll yell at me (and
I'm not exactly on home turf here :-))  However, I've used a fair number
of operating systems, and Linux really does appear to have a more rapid
learning curve.  There's so much more available documentation out there
for Linux...

> # I want to run a webserver that's going to probably be serving about 400
> # requests simultaneously on average, but it may spike up to 900 at times.
> # Bandwidth-wise, it'll be moving about 600+k/sec on a PII-450 w/384 megs
> # RAM. There'll be a lot of CGI involved, as well as a MySQL database that's
> # being used for authentication as well as keeping track of a bunch of user
> # accounting data. I tried FreeBSD initially, but it didn't last 10 minutes
> # before coming down.
> #
> # I searched on the web and checked links from the FreeBSD homepage, as well
> # as a couple other FreeBSD related pages that I found, but found no
> # information on tuning FreeBSD machines.  The HOWTOs for FreeBSD are
> # minimal.  There aren't many users out there with easily accessible
> # information on what they've done to make it work.
> #
> # What do I need to do to make it work? Increase the number of tasks?  Can I
> # just use ulimit, or do I need to change stuff in the kernel?  I noticed
> # some stuff in there limiting the per-user tasks to 64, but that didn't
> # look reasonable, and it looked like it got ignored anyway, so I don't know
> # what bearing that had on the system.  How can I increase the maximum
> # number of file descriptors/inodes?  Are there any changes I should make to
> # the memory management stuff, and if so where and how?  What else needs to
> # be done to a FreeBSD machine to allow it to handle heavy load?
>
> I can look around and see if I can drum up these answers.  But if you
> don't mind I'd like to forward these questions to the -isp list too
> to see if someone with more knowledge than myself can help out.  Is that
> ok?

Hey, go ahead.  I'd love to know the answers to those questions.  I
administer a lot of high-bandwidth machines, and anything I can do to make
them work smoother is in my best interest.  I'm not afraid of change, I'm
just afraid of unprepared, unresearched, undocumented, unsupported change
:>