Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 22:29:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Turpin <mturpin@saturn.spel.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Multia - Install success - 3.0-19981125-SNAP

Hello,

	After an extended period (about 4 hours) of trying to find two
good 3.5" floppies I successfully installed FreeBSD/Alpha on my Multia.
Not too difficult, just took a long time.

A couple of things I have questions on...

I get an FDC: Data overrun or underrun error while booting the kern.flp.
It didn't seem to be any problem, just an annoyance.  Is this expected or
might I have some hardware problem.

Next question,  How was the newfs done for the kern.flp image?  However
that was done it is the same way you need to make the mfsroot
disk. I had to do the following to get the alpha to read the mfsroot.gz
disk:

	dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/rfd0
	mount /dev/fd0a /mnt
	rm -rf /mnt/*
	cp mfsroot.gz /mnt
	umount /mnt

I tried fdformat/disklabel/newfs about 5 different ways and it never found
mfsroot.gz on the disk.

I have a webpage that documents my process of installing the system. it's
at http://www.mainstreettech.com/~mturpin/alpha.html

Mark