Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:21:16 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Bart=C5=82omiej_Rutkowski?= <robak@freebsd.org>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: The mystery of the missing library.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 7:06 AM, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 07:46:14AM +0200, David Naylor wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 28 July 2015 22:05:54 Bart??omiej Rutkowski wrote:
> > > I've checked how linux does it and it seems they're (at least Debian)
> > doing
> > > static linking - that would fix the issue, whatever it is. Can you
> adjust
> > > the port to do the static instead of dynamic linking binary?
> >
> > ```
> > # cd /usr/local/bin
> >
> > # rm pypy
> >
> > # ln ../pypy-2.6/bin/pypy
> >
> > # ls -l pypy
> > -rwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  5152 Jul 28 22:10 pypy
> >
> > # pypy
> > Shared object "libpypy-c.so" not found, required by "pypy"
> >
> > # `which pypy`
> > Shared object "libpypy-c.so" not found, required by "pypy"
> > ```
> >
> > I had a look at Debian and they seem to have quite a large patchset
> > applied to pypy.  Perhaps they patch it to make it work?
> >
> > Based on the documentation from pypy it appears they think a symlink
> > should work.
>
> There were relatively recent (as in, Feb 2015) changes to always resolve
> symlinks for $ORIGIN expansion, using realpath.  The changes are in HEAD
> and in stable/10, also in all 10.2 BETAs and RC.
>
> What version of the userspace do you use ?  If not the versions listed
> above, try them.  Hopefully, $ORIGIN starts behaving for you.

I personally was testing this on 10.1. While trying 10.2-RC versions might
make it work, we still need to make the port usable for people on 9.x and
10.1...

I've talked to pypy people, and they told me that dynamic linking is in
fact preferred way to do it, so following the Debian's route isnt the way
to go.

Kind regards,
Bartek Rutkowski