Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:04:31 +0400
From:      Andrey Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Last NSS commit is very dangerous

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:39:21PM -0600, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> I'd really like DETAILS from anyone else encountering any difficulties
> after yesterday's NSS commit.  I have so far been unable to reproduce
> the issue, nor has the patch submitter been able to reproduce it.

I found exact reason (which also explain why nobody still not been
hitted). Somehow while editing my /etc/nsswitch.conf access mode becomes
0600 while owned by root, i.e. no access from user programs. It
immediately case bugs I describe. But previous NSS variant can handle this
unreadable /etc/nsswitch.conf nicely, probably using defaults. I think new
variant should be fixed to do the same. Unreadable /etc/nsswitch.conf is
not enough reason to stop working.

--
Andrey Chernov | http://ache.pp.ru/