Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 16:57:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Web DATABASE(WAS Re: Bt848 on P55T2P4-P100oc)

> Hmm. Maybe I should have asked you before buying. I have a no-brand S3
> Virge card with 4MB EDO RAM and just ordered a mono Wincast/TV board.

> Are you also using a Wincast board?

I'm using Win/TV (that's the Euro version - teletext instead of intercast).

> Any problems?

Yes; it can't keep up with the frames at full (PAL) window size when
the screen resolution is 1024x768.  No problem at 800x600.  Presumably
the screen refresh is using too much of the video memory bandwidth, so
reducing the refresh rate would also fix it, and you *may* not have so
much problem with NTSC (640x480x30 instead of 768x576x25).

[Presumably it accesses 4MB in wider chunks than 2MB, otherwise it
wouldn't be able be display at all!]

I guess this is a problem with single-ported video memory in general.

-- Richard