Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 2012 21:27:57 +0000
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel X3000 black screen using Vesa driver

> .xinitrc works fine. I use it all the time...maybe try commenting out
> all items and just put "xterm -rv"?

Tried that now but still plain black screen?

I do realize that most "black screen" issues are because a window
manager hasn't been chosen but have done that above as directed by the
text-book.

> I haven't tried the vesa drivers, but xorg should work after using the
> patches for intel graphics KMS. VESA only supports resolutions exposed
> by the video bios, which are often "wrong".

Yeah, I get that and would have been happy with 1024x768 displaying so
that I could work on getting things better later.

> Meowthink has been posting patches from head backported to 9, my
> understanding is you'll want to merge the xorg-dev port from here:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU (after the long list of individual
> ports, or...)
> and then apply Meowthink's patch.
>
> The xorg-dev merge will add some ports including a kms enabled intel
> driver (3d, native resolution)

Am gona try this now as I seriously feel that my card is too new for
BSD, even the sound card doesn't work which is same problem I had with
Slackware Linux before moving to Fedora which is more Bleeding edge or
should that be unstable :-P

> Matt

Regards,

Kaya