Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 11:52:40 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Michael Haro <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do you think?

On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 05:14:11PM -0800, Michael Haro wrote:
> What do you think about creating some sort of variable in the Makefile
> like NEXT_VERSION or something which contains either a regular expression
> or printf like format string so that a script can go through the ports and
> check for new versions.

OK, can you forget the how to make it work angle for a minute and
explain to me, a clueless user of ports, how it's going to work?
I'm sitting here at my 2.2.8 system wanting to install fvwm2, and
wondering if that new version has been released yet.

So with your idea, does it go off and check whether the new sources are
available and blindly compile them with the old patches or with none at
all? Or does it only check to see if there's a new FreeBSD port yet,
and if so download the port and the sources and compile it, without
noticing that the port is for another version of FreeBSD? Or does it
notice that and install the ports upgrade kits as well, and if so what
if they are not suitable? Or will it simply check and report on
availability of new versions? What if I'm not connected to the 'net at
the time, will it dial up and slug my phone bill each time it wants to
have a look?

Sorry if this stuff is obvious to everyone else, but if I don't
understand exactly what's going on without needing to study first, I'm
not going to use it, and if others out there are in the same boat then
you might have wasted your time.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-