Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:22:24 -1000
From:      Wai Chan <wai@aloha.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Epson Stylus COLOR 600 on Samba

I have an Epson Styls COLOR 600 priter.  My filter (with gs) and printcap of
my FreeBSD box is performing correctly when priting from my FreeBSD box.
However, I can't print from my Win98 box.

I have samba installed (share mode), file sharing is fine, but I have
problem with printer sharing.

Which printer driver shall I install on the Win98 box?  I tried install
Epson Stylus COLOR 600 driver, but it checks the printer status and show a
big cross (I think it means not ready, or no such printer) on its GUI.  I
also tried installing HP postscript drivers, but it prompts for password
(what password?  it is a share; file sharing doesn't ask for password, so
why printing does?)  On the other hand, I successfully tested printing from
smbclient //xxx/xxxx -P.

Anyway, the following is my the setting in smb.conf:
    [printers]
       comment = All Printers
       path = /var/spool/samba
       browseable = no
       guest ok = no
       writable = no
       printable = yes

Anything worong with it?  It is from sam.conf.default, I did't make any
change for pritner.

I appreciate any assistance.  Thank you very much in advance.

Happy New Year!

Wai Chan
wai@aloha.net