Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 16:26:49 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com, jc@irbs.com
Subject:   Re: Slice errors

>> >Use fdisk -u to correct the partition table so that size==size of
>> >your BSD c or d partition and things should be fine.  What you see
>> >above is the bogus partition table that gets installed if you install
>> >new boot blocks.
>>
>> This advice no longer applies.  The bogus partition table is specially
>> handled to make it work.  Changing it risks introducing bugs and
>> changes will be blown away by new boot blocks.

>That advise got the chap up and running from private email I got
>back from him.   And he now has given me a patch for fdisk that
>fixes some real stupid errors (writting 0 as a value for beginning
>sector if you let it calculate the beg/end C/H/S addresses).

I introduced that bug :-(.  There was no way to delete a partition
using fdisk.  There is still no way to clear all the active flags.
Setting the size AND the base of a partition should clear everything.
(It's convenient to have empty partitions with a nonzero base.  It
stops some (braindamaged) systems from reordering the partition
numbers.)

>I am using that advice here on all my machines and it is much happier
>about this than allowing the bogus 500000 block boot stuff live!!!

I want the invalid table to just work.  I tested it, but only on a
floppy, so I want to see more bug reports about it if there are any
bugs.

Bruce