Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:04:24 +0100
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        trout@net66.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using make install

Hello

Well, it may have succeeded !

trout@net66.com wrote:

> howdy:
>
>  last night i decided to install a few of the billion or so ports that are
> on the cd release of freebsd 3.0. i tried to install emacs20, so i entered
>
> make install emacs20

I will assume you were in the /usr/ports/editors/emacs20
To use ports, you just have to type "make install" (this is why make
complains about not being able to make emacs20 : you asked make to make
two tagets : install, which it does know how to and emacs20, which it
does not know how to)

> it started installing, and it went on for a little while, then stopped with
> this:
>
> ===>Registering installation for emacs-20.3
> make: don't know how to make emacs20. Stop
>
> i tried to install a few other editors, and they all ended just like this.
> am i correct in assuming that this isn't supposed to happen? just for kicks
> i tried to start emacs20 by entering "emacs20," and nothing happened
> (command not found).

after you install a program, you must type "rehash" (under csh) to tell
your shell that there are new executable programs.

The newly installed emacs is perhaps not known as emacs20 (I have
Xemacs20.4 at home and it is called xemacs)

	TfH