Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2014 14:09:18 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-x11@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg, Radeon and KMS problems

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 08:32:41PM +1000, Da Rock wrote:
>  God I have some weird shit going on atm...

You're between a rock and a hard place? ;-)

BTW, could you try to configure your e-mail program to use proper quote mar=
ks (=E2=80=9C>=E2=80=9D)?
It's kind of hard to find what you wrote without it.

>  Ok, haven't quite got it all in place yet - haven't had time to recompile
>  Xorg yet without hal.

Setting "AutoAddDevices" to "off" is probably sufficient. And you only
need to rebuild xorg-server AFAIK.

>  But I have done the preliminary xorg.conf and given
>  it a shot. It works... but I think I've made a discovery of weird
>  proportions. Being dual card I believe Xorg is writing to both cards to =
one
>  screen. It kinda makes sense with the issues I'm having; what twigged me=
 is
>  this weird xsreensaver effect where there are 2 screensaver programs goi=
ng
>  at once on the one screen - something that usually only happens if there
>  are 2 screens connected like an external monitor, except there's one
>  screensaver on each.

Ok. Weird. But that could also be a bug in xscreensaver.

Check if it is possible to disable one of the graphics chips in the BIOS.
That could be a last resort fix. AFAIK Xorg doen not have proper support for
using two graphics cards or switching beteen them.

>  What I reckon I need to do is to be able to take control of this process
>  and say I want the 4200 going to the built in, and the HD to the external
>  HDMI/VGA. Tried playing with that on 9.x but I've never been that good w=
ith
>  Xorg and all its magic blackboxness :D

In the device section for the chips, you can specify it which monitor secti=
on
to use. See xorg.conf(5) excerpt below. N.B: the output for the built in pa=
nel
is probably called =E2=80=9CLVDS=E2=80=9D.

    MONITOR SECTION

       The  config file may have multiple Monitor sections.  There should n=
or-
       mally be at least one, for the monitor being used, but a  default  c=
on-
       figuration will be created when one isn't specified.

       Monitor sections have the following format:

           Section "Monitor"
               Identifier "name"
               entries
           EndSection

       The  only mandatory entry in a Monitor section is the Identifier ent=
ry.

       The Identifier entry specifies the unique name for this  monitor.   =
The
       Monitor section may be used to provide information about the specifi=
ca-
       tions of the monitor, monitor-specific Options, and  information  ab=
out
       the video modes to use with the monitor.

       With  RandR  1.2-enabled  drivers, monitor sections may be tied to s=
pe-
       cific outputs of the video card.  Using the name of the output  defi=
ned
       by the video driver plus the identifier of a monitor section, one as=
so-
       ciates a monitor section with an output by  adding  an  option  to  =
the
       Device section in the following format:

       Option "Monitor-outputname" "monitorsection"

       (for example, Option "Monitor-VGA" "VGA monitor" for a VGA output)

       In  the absence of specific association of monitor sections to outpu=
ts,
       if a monitor section is present the server will associate  it  with =
 an
       output  to  preserve  compatibility for previous single-head configu=
ra-
       tions.

But I guess you'll have to remove one of the cards from your xorg.conf.
to force Xorg to use the other one.

>  Also, how does no hal work? What does that effect with regards other app=
s?

No HAL means you have to tell Xorg more about the hardware. But otherwise it
works fine. I'm not sure what other stuff uses hal. I have never used it no=
r missed it.

But I'm using only a light-weight tiling window manager instead of a full f=
ledged
desktop environment.

>  Are you speaking of using the devd option in make config too?

Nope. That's just for input devices. I'm not using that either.

>>  You cannot use the new vt(4) driver on 10.0-RELEASE. It is only availab=
le
>>  on 10-STABLE. This means that you cannot switch from X back to the sc
>>  console.  That is not supported with kernel modesetting. You will either
>>  have to do without or upgrade to 10-STABLE. I'm on r269090 using a Rade=
on X
>> 1650 Pro and it works fine.
>
>  Good to know. Was wondering how that all fit... is vt tied with the
>  graphical boot or separate altogether?

You need vt(4) to do a graphical boot, and to get an utf-8 capable console.

>  For reference my kldstat looks like this atm:
>  Id Refs Address  Size     Name
>  1    45 0xffffffff80200000 15f0310  kernel
>  2    1  0xffffffff81a12000 432d4    linux.ko
>  3    1 0xffffffff81a56000 116c16    radeonkms.ko
>  4    1 0xffffffff81b6d000 47147     drm2.ko
>  5    4 0xffffffff81bb5000 1ccf      iicbus.ko
>  6    1 0xffffffff81bb7000 1a2a      iic.ko
>  7    1 0xffffffff81bb9000 1ad8      iicbb.ko
>  8    1 0xffffffff81bbb000 1028     radeonkmsfw_RS780_pfp.ko
>  9    1 0xffffffff81bbd000 5b1f     radeonkmsfw_RS780_me.ko
> 10    1 0xffffffff81bc3000 131b     radeonkmsfw_R600_rlc.ko
> 11    1 0xffffffff81bc5000 18a6     radeonkmsfw_CEDAR_pfp.ko
> 12    1 0xffffffff81bc7000 1ca1     radeonkmsfw_CEDAR_me.ko
> 13    1 0xffffffff81bc9000 1329     radeonkmsfw_CEDAR_rlc.ko

You might want to try and disable the HD6300 and then run kldstat again, to
see which radeon* modules are specific to the HD4200. Because those are the
ones you need to load /boot/loader.conf to get vt(4) working on 10-STABLE.

>  Hope that helps clear the picture so that you can give more focused help,
>  but I will get back probably tomorrow once Xorg is rebuilt with the resu=
lts
>  of that step.

Hope this helps.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+--