Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:18:46 +1300
From:      Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
To:        "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question on runing STABLE on old Intel SMP boards

Sergey N. Voronkov wrote:
> Hello, Stable!
>
> Do anyone have running RELENG_6 branch on old Intel SMP boards? I have two
> of them: SCB2 and SDS2. Both are on RELENG_4_11 today. Thinking on proposed
> EoL of RELENG_4 branch I'v tryed to move one of them (SCB2) onto 6.1-RELEASE.
> That was very problematic - ethernet performance droped down to about 90
> kB/s in installer (Installer was runned from boot floppy).

FWIW both these boards seem very similar to a Supermicro P3TDER that I'm
running 6-STABLE on (however the ethernet adapter is fxp not em), and it
works well (Serverworks HE-SL is a really good chipset). I guess you
could try a different ethernet card - if the boards have enough free PCI
slots for you to do this - they look like they have 1 more than the
P3TDER does (i.e. 1)

> Do you have any tips? (Like running with ACPI disabled ond so on).

Works with ACPI enabled - had to use hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot=1 to get
the power button to switch the box off after halt tho.

Cheers

Mark