Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:05:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "E. Hakan Duran" <hakan_duran@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Goldstar CD-Rom

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, E. Hakan Duran wrote:

please see:
http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html

(wrap lines at 70 characters)

> Hi,
>
> I am an experienced user of DOS/Windows 9x, in a intel pentium-II
> 300 machine.  I have 2 hard disk drives 4.3 GB and 540 MB, respectively
> and a Goldstar CD-ROM drive.  Since my CD-ROM drive was not recognized
> by Free-BSD, I copied it to my larger hard disk and completed the
> installation from there (2 OS [DOS+FreeBSD]simultaneous).  I am
> currently reading documents regarding the problem of recognization
> of ATAPI CD-ROMs but I could not make my way, yet.  I have a couple
> of questions for the dedicated helpers:

> 1. Can I still make the system recognize my CD-ROM drive?  If yes, how?

I really can't say, there are known problems when the CDrom is
in certain positions on the IDE bus, I would suggest shuffling it
around to other places, FreeBSD particularly hates IDE CDroms on
the second IDE channel set as a slave.

> 2. First, I dedicate my 540 MB hard disk completely to FreeBSD,
> but than I had problems with my Wn 98; it could not recognize it
> as a hard disk but an unreadable CD-ROM device instead.  This
> resulted in a serious fall in Win98 performence since every explorer
> function resulted in a search for an unexistent CD-ROM.  Then I
> partitioned that dirve in a way that allowed 4 MBs for DOS an rest
> for free BSD.  Everything seems to work well now.  Any comments on
> this issue will be appreciated.

This is a windows problem, windows is buggy, what do you expect? :)

> 3. It may sound stupid but I am really new to Unix environment,
> so would you please recommend me a way to list occupied/empty space
> on each drive?  I really can not predict to what percentage space
> I spared for freeBSD.

try using 'df' for more options try "man df".

the command "man -k space" lists 'df(1) - display free disk space'
as the first manual page to check, try using "man -k <keyword>"
to find other manual pages.

good luck and welcome aboard!

-Alfred