Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 1997 14:05:09 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        That Doug Guy <tiller@connectnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSD-ISP@freebsd.org" <FreeBSD-ISP@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Packet filtering help please

That Doug Guy wrote:

> Howdy,  :-)
>
>         I (still, *cough*) need information on packet filtering.  I looked at
> LINT, and found this about bpf:
>
> #  The `bpfilter' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.  Be
> #  aware of the legal and administrative consequences of enabling this
> #  option.  The number of devices determines the maximum number of
> #  simultaneous BPF clients programs runnable.

bpf is not what you want to do...
what you want is ipfw.

bpf is a debugging interface that allows packets to selectively be
transfered to a debugging process.

ipfw allows you to put filtering rules on interfaces for firewalling
purposes..

>  The last time I asked, the best info I got was that for my purposes
> (occasional filtering of nuisance hosts) enabling the firewall option in the
> kernel, and using ipfw would be my best bet.  This issue has become
> somewhat more urgent as our system is being attacked by a pesky (and
> persistent) 15 year old.  I never did receive an answer on how much
> overhead (cpu is the biggest consideration)

some but not too much

> this will add to my system.  Also,
> where can I find more info on how to construct rules?
> (Beyond the man pages.)
> I will be doing this all remotely, so getting it right the first time is
> essential.

add the following code to the rc file
ipfw add 10000  allow ip from all to all
ipfw add 1000   deny ip from {his address}

that should about do it..
remember that the default rule is:
ipfw add 65536 deny ip from any to any

so you need to add the allow rule above via /etc/rc
because you won't be able to get to the box to do it by hand :)