Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:47:36 -0700
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@tellme.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Porter's Handbook ambiguity

[ Note: I am cross-posting -ports and -doc.  Please trim your replies as
appropriate. ]

http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/porting-portlint.html

2.5. Checking your port with portlint

Please use portlint to see if your port conforms to our guidelines. The
portlint program is part of the ports collection. In particular, you may
want to check if the Makefile is in the right shape and the package is
named appropriately.

Okay, but where is portlint?  How do I use it?

0-17:37 dannyman@noneedto ~/work/ports/p5-Net-XWhois> portlint
portlint: Command not found.
1-17:37 dannyman@noneedto ~/work/ports/p5-Net-XWhois> make portlint
make: don't know how to make portlint. Stop

Hrmmm.

Also, I asked on -ports about why don't the Perl modules build honoring
PREFIX and was told that the ports collection was broken in this
regards.  I suppose it would be neat if there were someone who grokked
this and could bring -doc up to speed.  I may qualify in a few weeks
once I've burned myself enough times.

Thanks,
-danny