Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:58:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Carp questions

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:25-0400, Mark Saad wrote:

> I am running into two carp questions I can’t easily find an answer
> too . Before I go off and try to break stuff I figured i’de ask if
> anyone has tried this and has any pointers .
>
> Issue one : adding more user defined bits to the custom carp Mac .
> So this is not all that common but in some cases you can have two
> pairs of carp servers with overlapping vhids that eventually cause
> trouble with each other.  Has anyone tried this ? I am ok with
> random-ish mac’s like how crossbow does this on illumos .

Maybe someone else can answer this.

> Issue two: one way carp fail over . For example node a and b are
> carp partners . Node a crashes node b takes over but there is no
> automatic fail back when node a recovers . I can’t find a way to do
> this in 11.x . I am stumped anyone have any built into magic for
> this ?

I run doubly DHCP servers using CARP, and I have
net.inet.carp.preempt=1 in /etc/sysctl.conf on the master only.

--
Trond.
From owner-freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org  Thu Oct 11 15:52:22 2018
From: Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 17:52:17 +0200
To: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org

Hi there,

I just had another update to a port that I maintain committed. Thanks =
for that!

However, the commit message contains a Sponsored by line. I'm not =
sponsored by that company, and neither is the upstream project, AFAICT.

What is the significance of this line?

The port update was mainly mechanical, although it included adding a =
vuxml entry. At any rate, the submission contained a more specifc entry =
for vuxml than what got committed. So I'm wondering what the sponsoring =
actually entails.

=46rom what I have observed over the years, Sponsored by has often =
indicated significant contributions to important subsystems. Is this =
impression misguided? Does it simply indicate that the committer working =
on that commit on sponsored time, no matter the amount of work?

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811