Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 1996 17:54:57 -0600
From:      "Matthew R. Peterson" <mrpeter2@students.wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   v2.0.5 Installation - Page Fault

Hoping someone can help me here...

I have a Zenith 386sx/20 Laptop w/ a 387 Co-Processor, 4 megs of memory, and
a 60 Meg HD. At one point I did have FreeBSD v2.0.5 running on it, but
removed it because I needed a temporary DOS platform.  Now when I'm
re-install FreeBSD with the v2.0.5 boot disk, I go through the following
process:

[standard boot...]

640K Base Memory, 03072K Extended
384K Shadow RAM,  00000K Expanded

>> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000: 639/3072 k of memory
[... Usage, blah blah, etc...]

Boot:
Booting fd(0,a)/kernel @ 0x20c000
text=0xfc000 data=0x0 bss=0xa00 symbols=[+0x600+0x4+0x27c+0x4+0x1fb]
total=0x30947f entry point=0x20c00
Uncompressing kernel...

[... probing all the devices, no probs, blah blah...]

rootfs is 1000Kbyte complied in MFS

fault virtual address   = 0x0
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf018c82d
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 1 (swapper)
interrupt mask          = net tty bio
panic: page fault

syncing disks... done
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

----
And that's it.  I'm using the FreeBSD v2.0.5 boot.flp that's currently
available on the ftp sites.  I remeber though at one point there was an
alternate boot.flp for 2.0.5 for "low memory" systems (e.g. 4 megs), but
that's no where to be found on the sites I've looked at.  Is that what I
may have used & need?  If so, where can I get a hold of it?

Or is it something more (e.g. My physical memory has been corrupted some how...)

(I have also tried the 2.1 boot.flp (even though 2.1 requires 5 megs), and I
 get the exact same result as above...)
---

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,