Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 1997 15:02:02
From:      David Herron <davidh@crl.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:    Installing via PCMCIA/SCSI CDROM

HI.. I just got the FreeBSD 2.2.1 from Walnut Creek and am intending
to install on my old laptop computer that's too slow and limited to
run Win95 on but is just fine and dandy for a Unix OS.  Says something
about Windows doesn't it ;-) ...

Anyway I am using the boot-pao.flp that's on the CDROM.  During
the boot process it does see the PCMCIA controller (but the messages
disappear too quickly to know exactly what it says other than it recognizes
the existance of the controller).  Prior to the main install menu coming
up it asks a couple PCMCIA questions and finds both cards that are
in the machine right at the time (Megahertz 28.8 modem and a BASICS
SCSI card).  I go through the novice procedure, answer all the questions
and tell it to start the install.  Choose "CDROM" from that menu and it
says there is no CDROM.  It does not recognize a "DOS PARTITION"
either.

This SCSI card worked fine when Win95 was installed on this computer.

Ideas?

The computer is a Sager 800 series (DX2/50 with 8 Megs).  The PCMCIA
controller identifies as "Vadem VG-468" under Linux.  (I got interested in
using FreeBSD because the Linux PCMCIA utilities are being a hassle
to configure and use, and underdocumented as well).

The CDROM drive says "CyberDrive Multimedia CDROM" on the box.
It's a 12X SCSI cdrom.  This CDROM and SCSI controller worked fine
under Win95 on this system.

Any ideas?

If I got an ethernet card would that work to use an NFS install?

	David