Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 12:50:31 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling UFS and LFS

(Trimmed a bit the CC list)

Don wrote:

> Softupdates is definitely a viable solution however it does not address
> several issues and the license is not a BSD license so it makes me
> uncomfortable.

The links to CFFS that I posted on -arch show some performance
improvements in the Exokernel and in OpenBSD-CFFS against the stock
FreeBSD-FFS; it's an interesting alternative.

> LFS is being considered as a starting point for this project. The goal is
> to build an extensible file system with features such as the ability to
> grow and shrink partitions, acl's journaling etc.

Margo Selzer's papers are an important reference:
	http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~margo/papers/
I recall the sources also carry a large TODO list.

> XFS is also being considered as a feature reference.

I understand XFS is quite big, it not used by SGI for their distribution
media (I understand they use a modified UFS) and it will take quite some
time to port to linux, so I think "feature reference" is the correct
approach to it.

cheers,

    Pedro.