Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 19:53:47 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, adaml@visimation.com
Subject:   Re: Installing XFree86-4.X - Wraphelp.c?

5/28/2002 6:39:30 PM, "Adam Lofstedt" <adaml@visimation.com>
wrote:

>I cvsup'ed the ports and then followed the directions in the handbook to
>install XFree86-4 by doing cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 and then make
all
>install clean.
>
>When I tried this, it caused an error stating that Wraphelp.c could not
>be found.  I believe that this is part of XDM, is that correct?  Is this
>a necessary part of the X system?
>
>The error said that I should manually update the ports so that
>Wraphelp.c is in /usr/ports/distfiles/xc.
>
>So, I ftp'd to ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/X11R5, got Wraphelp.c.gz, and
>placed it in the xc directory.  I tried make again, but it still
>couldn't find it.  What do I need to do?
>
>Thanks,
>Adam Lofstedt

It's a wrapper to let you run X without having to be superuser or root.
The port takes about 5 seconds to install - /usr/ports/x11/wrapper.  One
"gotcha" - you should have an /etc/make.conf file that tells wrapper
you're running XFree-86 version 4.x.  To do this, if you haven't already,
copy /etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc, then uncomment anything you
want to enable, including a line regarding XFree version=4.

Jud