Date:      Thu, 10 May 2007 01:12:17 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Eric Crist <mnslinky@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: WOW! {Or Holy whatever}

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 09:21:57PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:
> On May 9, 2007, at 8:34 PMMay 9, 2007, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 07:18:52PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:
> >>
> >>Gary,
> >>
> >>Most cards that might come with DVI output instead of the standard
> >>VGA output usually include at least one DVI-VGA adapter, an
> >>additional one could be purchased at most computer retailers or your
> >>local Radio Shack.
> >>
> >>HTH
> >

> >	It does help, thanks, Eric.  I may have missed the cord adaptor
> >	that was stuck in the box.  Need help to open/check.  Meanwhile,
> >	I need to look at the specs for this Dell 8200 to see what kind
> >	of card is in there.  What's there is a jack with two rows of
> >	sockets.  I'm guessing this is the standard Dell "DVI" connector,
> >	yes, no, other? :-)
> >
> >	Also, in your opinion, since I'm not a gamer and just want to
> >	display at extreme most 1600x1200, do I need anything seriously
> >	upscale?  I've seen and skipped past lots of questions about lots
> >	of drivers.  So let's say that I went totally ape and bought some
> >	AGP card with 256M of memory:: do we have a driveer for those
> >	kinds of very high end cards?
> >
> >	thanks again,
> >
> >	gary
> >
> >	PS:  Does anybody know of a website that 'splains VGA, SVGA,
> >	     EVGA, and all the rest?  I've been seriously guilty of being
> >	     lazy; I'm fessing up!  ....
>

> Gary,
>
> A DVI connector has 3 rows of 8 pins and a set of 4 hole is a box
> shape next to it:
>
> +------------------------+
> |  o o o o o o o o  o|o  |
> |  o o o o o o o o --+-- |
>  \ o o o o o o o o  o|o /
>   +--------------------+
>
> There's also a mini-DVI format that's kinda like this:
>
> +-----------------+
> | o o o o o o o o||
> | o o o o o o o o||
>  `---------------'
>
> I'm sure you know what a VGA connector looks like, so I won't draw
> that for you. ;)

	what's on the Dell must be the mini-DVI jack then.  I can't make
	out the upper connector on the bac; besides, none of then have
	3 rows... .

	(As for {}VGA, I'll upgrade myself via wiki :-)  I'm severely
	overdue.)

> At work, we're using the GeForce 7600 GS AGP cards, which have 256MB
> of RAM and dual DVI output.  We're using the FreeBSD Binary driver
> (available in ports) and running dual monitors with full Open GL
> support pretty seamlessly.

	So: if I do go ape and buy the 7600 and drop in the binary
	version in ports, everything should work.  Yes?  "should" because
	shtuff happens too often......... ..... [bar]

> I'd recommend that setup to anyone.  It's
> a feature called Twinview which allows your desktop to span multiple
> monitors, and most programs that support xinerama(sp?) are 'aware' of
> the physical border between monitors, so you don't end up with
> windows popping up spanning both monitors. (i.e. maximize doesn't
> cross both monitors, just one).
>
> HTH

	Me too:)  This GeForce sounds great; but besides having
	SuperMonitor capabilities, what does it really buy?  For
	instance, will my windows redraw faster?  Will xterms open
	quicker?  Most of what I do nowadaya is write using vi or OO
	along with some C hacking.  I gave up on viedo game years ago--
	what? 2 or 3 years now:).... No, seriously, besides being for the
	cutting-edge crowd or for games, or 75 billion colors, what do
	these cards do?

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline@thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix