Date:      Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:45:39 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M$ one-ups UNIX???

Kris Kennaway writes:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, David Schwartz wrote:
>
> > > I really think it is (b).  It does seem like a cool thing initially, but
> > > scares me.  So now if you make a copy of a file for a backup on the
> > > same drive, and a sector is toasted for whatever reason, you magically
> > > lose both copies.
> >
> > 	If you're making backup copies of files on the same drive as the files, you
> > deserve to lose anyway. If it links across physical drives, that's another
> > story.

Good practice to make a backup copy before editing a file. I remember a
friend had an add-on compressed filesystem on an old Windows machine
before MS pre-empted Stacker's rights. He was stymied before realizing
the idiot compressed filesystem was too smart in detecting there were
now two copies of the file, and too dumb to unshare the link when one
was edited. In the end he lost his backup copy because both "copies" got
changed when he thought only one was being edited.

> The article talks about how it was intended to link across network drives
> to a central server, thereby replacing your entire enterprise network with
> a Microsoft Single Point of Failure 2000 <tm>

Even Apple beat MS to this. An alias starting in MacOS 7 knew what
floppy, local filesystem, or network filesystem, it came from and would
attempt to automount same if needed. You could copy the alias to another
Mac and it could still find the original (if it was exported^H^H^H^H^H^H
shared) over the network even if the original was not a network link.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net