Date:      Sat, 29 Feb 2020 22:05:51 +0100
From:      Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>, xfce@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: x11-wm/xfce4

On 29/02/20 16:27, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> On 29/02/2020 06:35, Guido Falsi wrote:
>> On 29/02/20 01:06, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>> Hello;
>>>
>>> I've recently tried Xfce, and it's very nice. Just thought I'd suggest,
>>> please set this file as executable:
>>>
>>> /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc
>>>
>>> I ended up doing chmod +x to that file in order to get it working in
>>> xinit.
>> I'll have a look at that.
>>
>> I'm using xfce from a display manager (lightdm) so I'm not using that
>> file.
>
> Ah yes, for the record I am following the handbook:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x11-wm.html
>
> Where it says "Unlike GNOME or KDE, Xfce does not provide its own login
> manager ..."

While it's technically correct most linux distributions providing XFCE
as a default pair it with lightdm, so, with the latest update to 4.14, I
made lightdm it's default display manager in the metaport.

You should give it a spin.

>>> While here, I am having trouble as both mouse and the keyboard stop
>>> working in X. Curiously both worked find in KDE.
>> Maybe this is caused by the recent Xorg-server port change from devd
>> baackend to udev backend?
>
> It's likely. I had it working at a time but the up arrow key stopped
> working after the update. I then removed all the packages and started
> from scratch.
>

>> If that's the case the solution if installing xf86-input-evdev and
>> restarting Xorg.
>
> That was certainly missing but I might have missed some configuration,
> as it still doesn't work.
>
> I also lost the acceleration (ati-legacy) with the update. I'll figure
> it out ;).
>
>> BTW xf86-input-evdev should be a dependency of the xorg-drivers
>> metaport, so maybe forcing a reinstallation of that one will fix the
>> issue.
>
> I started using xorg-minimal which explains some missing stuff.

I don't know the details about sorg-minimal, but yes the migration to
udev may require some reconfiguration, especially if you have a
customized setup.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>