Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:05:00 +0000
From:      Leigh Porter <leigh@wisper.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Would like ot use FreeBSD.

Hiya,

Apologies if I have sent this multiple times, Netscape on Solaris has
a bug (another one) I just foind..

I would like to use FreeBSD instead of Linux for our production Un*x
systems
mainly because I think it may be more stable. However I have found that
it
seems to be "missing" some things I find usefull:

Support for the BT950 Scsi card from Buslogic (The FlashPoint).
Support for s/w RAID0 (ala Linux md).

I have scoured the FAQ's etc and found refs in list archives to the
BT950 driver
saying thet Buslogic wont release driver specs - they seem to have done
so now,
at least Linux supports it so its documented in the code - any chance of
FreeBSD!?

The RAID0 seems to be covered with the concatenated disk driver (ccd 4)
but does this work well? Anybody tried it for say a news box?? The Linux

md code works really well, even under load with lots of disks (I have 10
4Gb
disks and it;s pretty good).

The latest (I think) FreeBSD 2.1.6 Release Notes mention improved
drivers
for the :

Buslogic 946c PCI SCSI controller
Buslogic 956c PCI SCSI controller