Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 16:20:25 +0900
From:      Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        cracauer@cons.org
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: newpcm secondary dma buffer - why?

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:01:32 +0200,
  Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> said:

Martin> could you explain why the newpcm driver uses a secondary buffer to
Martin> collect data before it transmits it to the soundcard?
(snip)
Martin> Please don't say "it does buffering", I assume that :-) But so far
Martin> I've been under the impression that such things are unneeded in
Martin> today's soundcards and that it is extremly hard to get the mmap API to
Martin> work with such a construction in between.

First, even in these days certain sound cards have very small size of
DMA buffer. My CS4614 sound card has only 4KB, interrupting on
playing/recording every 2KB. For CD quality sound(44.1kHz 16bit
stereo), the interrupt rate goes up to 86.1 times/sec and likely to
unferflow under heavy load.

Second, we would eventually have to get rid of DMA dependency in
pcm driver. This is essential for pcm devices without DMA, including
USB, PCCARD and pc98(nss) sound. For these devices, the driver needs
to transfer sound data by block-by-block manner.

--
Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp> <tanimura@FreeBSD.org>