Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:20:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        srb@benchmarkgroup.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Matrox

> Please let us know if the Matrox Meteor card works with the FreeBSD.  If so,
> which Meteor works--
> a) Meteor or Meteor/RGB which works on Pentium machines or
>
> b) Meteor/PPB, Meteor/PPB/RGB which works on PII
>
> c) Meteor 2 /Meteor 2-MC/2 which is the latest Meteor Imaging boards?

the meteor driver was written for the original Meteor board which works
only on the pentium class machines (actually it is the PCI version that
is the restriction). The chipsets on this board are:

	Philips SAA7116
	Philips SAA7196

I am not sure what chipsets are on the subsequent Meteor boards and
therefore how much of that code can be re-used to support the newer
Meteor cards.

As an alternative, the Brooktree 848 based video capture cards are well
supported.

--mark tinguely.