Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:54:52 -0500
From:      eculp@unixmania.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading from an old athlon to a new 64 bit one.

I have just stuck the disks from an old AMD Athlon(tm)  (1333.39-MHz =20
686-class CPU) into a new box with an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor =20
3800+ (2387.78-MHz 686-class CPU).  I am still building a daily kernel =20
with the old configuration and all is well.  Of course the old =20
configuration was/is i386.  Now I need to compile for 64 bit apps.  I =20
have configured a slightly modified sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC kernel and =20
was going to build it as a test only to find out that a simple make =20
buildkernel KERNCONF=3DAMD doesn't find /sys/amd64/conf/AMD.  There is =20
an old reference in UPDATING from 5.0 that didn't work either.

The other question is on today's make world all seems to still be =20
compiled ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386 so I am sure missing =20
something very simple.

I'm actually going to update serveral machines, both Current and =20
RELENG.  All of which are up to date.  Hopefully there will be no =20
major problems.  I also plan to recompile all ports once I am able to =20
build and install an AMD64 world and kernel.  Right now all is working =20
fine with todays, sources and kernel except they are compiled for Intel.

Any other suggestions appreciated.  Maybe someone might recommend =20
upgrading the RELENG boxes to CURRENT first?

Thanks,

ed