Date:               Wed, 17 May 1995 13:55:44 CST6CDT
From:      "John Booth" <JOHN@gab.unt.edu>
To:        Jim Babb <babb@sedhps01.mdc.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:         Re: 3c509B woes ( B models only!)

> > >     I've seen this probably on 4 or 5 different computers -
> > >     the FreeBSD ( including 0412SNAP) doesn't see particular
> > >     B ( with parallel processing) 3C509B card.
> >
> The probe is finding the card at 0x300, reports it is in test mode,
> then says the EEPROM failed to come ready, which causes a return
> value of 0xffff for the PROD_ID,  and then the card is ignored.
> I tried changing the delays that others have suggested, with no help.
> This is with 950412.snap.
>
> I suspect that 3com has 'improved' the card such that a driver change
> is needed.

Run the 3c5x9cfg utility, turn OFF the plug-n-play on the cards.  Set
the adaptor media to what you need ie (BNC,TP, etc.).
This worked for me....The cards are actually 3c509C's, the configure
utilitie detects them as B's.  I've got 2 of them in along with a
regular 3c509 working fine.  (after the pnp was turned off and media
set....I suspect the pnp though).
                                    College of Arts & Sciences
                                    Computing Services
                                    John A. Booth, john@gab.unt.edu