Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:46:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        "James B. Wilkinson" <jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't get trpt to run

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, James B. Wilkinson wrote:

JBW>When I try to run trpt, it reports "no namelist". If I do "nm
JBW>/kernel" I get an extensive namelist. At this point I have no idea
JBW>where else to look. Does anybody here have any ideas? Kernel is
JBW>4.6.1-RC2.

Did you build the kernel with the TCPDEBUG option.

Even if you get trpt to find the namelist, you will get no usefull output,
because the TCPDEBUG option is utterly screwed up. All the people patching
around in tcp_input and tcp_output didn't care about TCPDEBUG so there
are a lot of cases where you don't get a debug record. I have a patch
for current, that let you at least trace normal TCP connections and use
dbsd. If I get some spare time, I may make a bug report.

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private
              brandt@fokus.gmd.de, brandt@fokus.fhg.de