Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:57:23 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It is time to admit that removable devices exist

"Matthew N. Dodd" wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > Please find enclosed the beginnings of a patch to make removable devices
> > better represented in the system.  Right now all it adds is a mechanism
> > by which client drivers can ask if the device is still really there or
> > not.
>
> If a device driver is ever in a position to ask this question when a
> device is not actually present then we've got larger issues.

I was thinking this, too, but my thinking was going more in terms
of arrival/departure events.

The last time I raised this in the context of the pccard discussion,
I was yelled at because it was "too much work" (I had just pointed
out that Windows supported it on my Sony laptop).

> We should also implement 'ifconfig detach/unplumb/destroy' as an interface
> for forcing network devices (the most common hot removed device) to be
> detached.  This will allow users to completely detach the device before
> they remove it.

I think CDROMs are probably the most commonly removed.  That
kind of assumes that you treat them as bus devices with actual
disks arriving and departing.

I think that anything connected to a docking ports, a serial
(USB or regular) port, etc., will probably outweigh network
devices soon, if it they don't already.

It makes sense to want to plug in an arbitrary (supported) USB
device wor which the specific driver is not loaded, but for
which the USB driver is present and can recognize the device
well enough to pick a driver that needs to be loaded (or to,
alternately, complain that one doesn't exist).

-- Terry