Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:53:52 -0600
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jeremy@external.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A proposal to mitigate the limitations of keeping an older perl in STABLE

Forgot to CC the list.

----- Forwarded message from Jeremy Shaffner <jeremy@external.org> -----

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:06:27 -0600
From: Jeremy Shaffner <jeremy@external.org>
To: Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 12:54:00PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
> 	Given that:
>
> 	A. There is no movement to upgarde the perl in the STABLE tree to 5.6
> 	B. That the 4.x tree will remain STABLE for a reasonable amount of time
> 	C. The purpose of the ports system is to make using non core free software
> 		easy.
> 	D. Thre are a reasoanble number of useful perl modules that will not work with
> 	   the version of perl without modification.
> 	E. The modifications to at least some of these are trivial (for a good perl
> 	   hacke, not you average user).
>
> 	I propose that an effor tshouldbe made to create ports for thesemodules that
> 	will include the approriate fixes.

I would like to create a Request Tracker port, but it requires a version of CGI.pm
greater than 2.46, and 2.46 is what's currently in the base Perl.

I'm for the idea.

Jeremy Shaffner                         | This space for rent.
jeremy@external.org                     | $ grep happiness life
http://www.external.org/~jeremy/pgp.key | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve

----- End forwarded message -----