Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 18:21:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        Jan_Guldemond <jg@euronet.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Leased line

On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, Jan_Guldemond wrote:

> I'm trying to connect two FreeBSD machines with a leased line. I have two
> 28k8 modems to do this.
> But how do I configure them?? I can't dial a number and put the other one in
> auto answer as with a normal telefone line. How must I configure the modems
> to let them connect to each other and re-connect automaticly when the
> connection was lost?

What brand modems do you use, and what kind of leased line is it?  We've
done this in the past by setting one modem up for answer and one for
originate, then doing "ato" on the originate to start the call.  The
modems also have to be set up for leased line operation.  In our case, we
used ZyXel modems with both bare copper and equalized 4-wire circuits
(for the 2 wire circuits we had to "fool" the ZyXels into thinking they
had a 4-wire circuit, even though the manuals SAID they could deal with
2-wire circuits.)

It works.  Just make sure you have good quality modems - you want
something that will retry the line if it drops (you don't want to have to
do "ato"s all the time when the line goes away!)

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |