Date:      26 Oct 2000 10:19 GMT
From:      Sven.Huster@t-online.de
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        sven.huster@t-online.de
Subject:   high availability by routing?

hi there,

at the moment i have following setup:

|isp| --- |my router| -- |switch| -- |loadbalancer| -- |web farm|

i want to improve availability by adding a second loadbalancer and=20
a second router + a second connection to my network provider to
eliminate the single point of failure (i know about the single
switch).

so the setup then will be:

|   | -- |router 1| -- |      | -- |loadbalancer 1| -- |        |
|isp|                  |switch|                        |web farm|
|   | -- |router 2| -- |      | -- |loadbalancer 2| -- |        |

but
1. how is routing managed between isp and my routers?
2. what happends if one router fails or one isp connection is broken?
3. how does the loadbalancer recongnizes that one router fails?
4. how do i tell my routers to distribute traffic between the
   loadbalancers equal?
5. how can i handle the failure of one loadbalancer?

maybe i will extend the setup with another connection to a other isp.
6. how will this fit in my environment?

thanks a lot
regards
Sven