Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2021 16:47:11 +0200
From:      Valery Seys <valery@vslash.com>
To:        John F Carr <jfc@mit.edu>, FreeBSD ARM <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Arm64 Tier 1 FreeBSD 13 Phones

On 13/04/2021 13:43, John F Carr wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2021, at 03:10 , Valery Seys <valery@vslash.com> wrote:
>>

>> I'm affraid that FreeBSD do not run on a PinePhone.
>> The dmesg from nycbug comes from a pine64 board, not from a pinephone.
>
> Is it known not to run, or merely untested?  It looks like every Pine device needs a different configuration.  At $200 it is tempting to get one to experiment on.  Maybe after my current time sink ends in a few weeks.
>
> The original message (subject line) reflects a misunderstanding of what "Tier 1" means.  It means the FreeBSD team will try hard not to break rack mount servers.  Tier 1 status doesn't make FreeBSD any more suited to phones than Tier 2 status.  It doesn't add device or CPU support.  See all the difficulties with Raspberry Pi.  It doesn't add a UI for a small screen.  The potabi PinePhone project by its own admission hasn't accomplished anything but starting a UI design.  But maybe by end of year we can have something that works when plugged into a power supply.

Shortly:
- 'do not run' was in reply to the fake dmesg from nycbug (mismatch btw pine64
and pinephone)
- I failed myself to build a proper dtb, but I'm really not an expert on this!
- so, no boot => untested
- I'm sure somebody will produce something bootable ... one day.
- Bootable do not mean usable, Quectel Modem has no kmod, as for the touchcreen,
and this is the minimum.

If you dev something, you must know that the phone is very unstable, so
sometimes a bug means an hardware failure.

I hope the Potabi project and its nice enthusiast team will produce something,
but running Android through a 'qemu-lation' on a Cortex A53 2GB board with a
Mali400 GPU is something I would like to see.

++

v/