Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:14:15 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Interest in diskless booting?

On Monday,  9 December 2002 at 11:05:25 -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> I recognize that picobsd doesn't suit everyone's needs, but probably
> most.

I'm not sure this is correct.

> IIRC, it allows any number of modifications and additions to the
> default configuration including installation of large systems on
> CDs.

Yes, but you need to build them.

> If Greg is considering the documentation of an entirely non-picobsd
> diskless scheme, I think his target audience will be much smaller
> than his original question's responses might imply.

I really think that PicoBSD is probably the least interesting of the
alternatives.  On floppy, it's just too constrained to be any use.  On
CD-ROM, it's frequently overkill to have crunched binaries and MFS
file systems.  I've just brought up a netbooted environment on a
machine with only 64 MB memory and find:

  $ df
  Filesystem                        1048576-blocks  Used Avail Capacity  Mounted on
  192.109.197.82:/src/nodisk/bumble          75100 52242 16850    76%    /
  devfs                                          0     0     0   100%    /dev
  /dev/md1c                                     31     0    28     1%    /var
  echunga:/                                   5814  4317  1032    81%    /echunga
  echunga:/home                               6329  3802  2020    65%    /echunga/home
  echunga:/src                               75100 52242 16850    76%    /src
  echunga:/dump                              76285 45350 24832    65%    /dump
  wantadilla:/                                6048  4685   878    84%    /wantadilla
  wantadilla:/home                           30514 10680 17392    38%    /wantadilla/home
  /dev/md2c                                     62     0    57     0%    /tmp
  $ pstat -s
  Device          1048576-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
  $  dmesg
  CPU: AMD-K6tm w/ multimedia extensions (233.87-MHz 586-class CPU)
    Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x562  Stepping = 2
    Features=0x8001bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX>
    AMD Features=0x400<<b10>>
  real memory  = 67108864 (64 MB)
  avail memory = 58265600 (55 MB)

In other words, I have 96 MB of MFS file system, no swap and only 64
MB of memory.  That just plain can't work (and I intend to fix it
before releasing 5.0 :-).  There are many other cases where MFS is not
the answer.

I personally would like to see the second CD become a live bootable
file system which would run from CD only.  Currently it contains an
install kernel, which duplicates the efforts of the first CD.

> And I hope he too will help his readers choose whether they should
> read about his non-picobsd scheme or the picobsd manpage, so they
> don't have to learn the hard way.

I'll certainly do that.

Greg