Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:07:09 +1000
From:      Mikel <mikel@cynet.net.au>
To:        Bo Fussing <bmf@gateway.net.hk>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VPN in FreeBSD & Re: Sorry, but it concerns NT

At 06:28 PM 6/10/98 +0800, you wrote:
>Anything on other subnets is therefore unknown. Use the online
>documentation provided with NT to work out how this is set up.

Unfortunatley the online help for WINS is this side of useless.  It is
incomplete and doesn't explain anything more complex than a local subnet
scenario (having had to figure out the same sort of nt problem accross an
ISDN link).  Get a good NT ORielly book or even the Microsoft Network
Administration kit for more info on how to do this.  Or call up a local
network support company and ask to speak to their MCSE or someone who
understands WINS.

Of course, you could put routers at each border and run a Virtual Private
Network through the IP crowd, then both subnets are more "local" and you
can run your WINS through it without too much fear (although the idea of
running WINS through the Internet really scares me).  Does FreeBSD have any
VPN implementation that could pull this off?  (Mikel asks desparately
trying to pull the thread back on topic *8-]