Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 15:36:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no, marcel@scc.nl
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new sigset_t and upgrading: a proposal

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> >
> > How about this: early in make world, we check whether or not the
> > current kernel supports the new syscalls. If it does, good. If it
> > doesn't, we build and load a small module which installs syscalls
> > which translate the sigset_t stuff into something the old syscalls can
> > grok. Does that make sense to any of you guys?
>
> That has been proposed by someone (sorry, I can't remember who exactly).
> We still need a consensus as to what we should do. Personally, I now
> like to fix this at the core of the problem: truly support
> cross-compilations. This implies (IMO) that the source tree is never
> used to build the tools with which a world is built (ideally). Such a
> solution may take too long to be implemented to be used as a solution
> now, though.

But this still doesn't entirely solve the problem.  You still have
to build and install a new kernel before installing the world.
While this is typically what most -current folks do anyways, it
still prevents backing up to a previous kernel after the install
world.

It seems like libc should be built to be compatible with the kernel
that is currently running.  After installing world and testing the
new kernel, a subsequent make world (or some other target to get
just the libs) can be done to make the libs use the new syscalls.
I like to keep old known working kernels around just in case there
are some serious bugs with the current one.  Once a kernel has
proven itself somewhat stable, you can then upgrade the libs.

This is why I kind of like (was it?) Peter Wemms libc hack.

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com