Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:30:12 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seeking network authentication: NIS? what else?

At 10:22 PM 9/12/2000 -0400, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
>Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >
> > On 12 Sep 2000 11:30:18 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:
> >
> > >My home and work FreeBSD networks are growing and I need to find a better
> > >way to keep track of users than creating accounts on each box.
> > >
> > >At work I may go with NIS because we also have Solaris. For home I am
> > >seeking whichever is the easiest method to do network authentication.
> >
> > RADIUS via PAM is another option depending on what you want to do....
>
>Is there more info on this somewhere? I heard it might be possible with
>kerberos
>and pam, but I haven't gotten around to checking on it.

The man pages, and also references to the LINUX PAM doc in there should get
you everything you need.  Even if your application is not pam friendly, and
you want to use RADIUS per se, its fairly easy to add radius auth. I did
that here with popper before it supported PAM to auth against our multiple
radius servers.  This way, we only replicate UIDs with * for passwords.

         ---Mike