Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:00:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minor Bootup problem

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Vincent Poy wrote:
>
> > 	Does anyone know what I can do to fix the following?  I had tried
> > reinstalling bootinst.exe from dos and recompiled a new kernel.  The
> > problem seems to be the FreeBSD Boot manager on one of the machines only
> > when it asks to hit the Fx key for FreeBSD, it would say boot.help not
> > found and boot.config not found.  Then when it loads the kernel, it would
> > say kernel.config not found.  Any ideas?  Thanks!
>
> boot.help and boot.config are two new files that come with the new boot
> blocks on 2.2-STABLE, 2.2.5-RELEASE, and later.  You can grab
> ftp://gdi.uoregon.edu/pub/boot/boot.help and copy it to /boot.help to shut
> up the first message. For the second, create the file /boot.config and put
> the boot string for your machine, or try leaving it blank.  kernel.config
> I've never heard of and it doesn't exist on my 2.2.5 machine.  If it isn't
> a showstopper you can probably ignore it.

	It seems like with the 2.2.5-RELEASE boot disk, it didn't do the
boot.help or boot.config.  Is the boot string the same as the first line
in /etc/motd?  kernel.config pops up missing right after the bootstrap and
before the FreeBSD Inc. copyright but the machine boots fine.  Just
couldn't figure out what that file is.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]