Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:29:54 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cross-Development with NetBSD

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > NetBSD builds a directory full of tools that you can later use to
> > incrementally build, say, 'ls' or 'cat' because one can define
> > USETOOLS to be 'yes' and have the make automatically pick them up when
> > rebuilding.  There are a few of the details I'm a little unclear on,
> > but that's the jist of it.
>
> We also can, this just requires a few really tiny tweaks to Makefile.inc1,
> and I've posted them already some time ago -- basically, for each architecture
> you should build the subset of buildworld targets (WMAKE_TGTS), up to and
> including _libraries (if you want to build roughly any bit later), and
> them you can ``make {depend|all} SUBDIR_OVERRIDE=bin/cat'' for each of
> the desired TARGET_ARCH.

Any ETA on when this will be committed?

> I know that the Alpha and sparc64 binaries produced on i386 work.

I thought that the Alpha boot blocks ended up too large in the
cross-build case?  They did, last time I tried it.

> I know that cross-compiling i386 on either Alpha or sparc64 is
> broken (GCC sometimes produces different assembler output than
> the native compiler).  I lack the necessary hardware to actually
> test/fix the issues with cross-releases.

I don't think he was attacking you, personally, to ask you to
fix the problem, I think he was just noting the problem exists.

One thing that would help a lot -- and probably be helpful in
general -- would be a binary compare tool that ignored date
stamps in things like libraries, tar images, etc., so that you
could compare where things differ, easily, allowing someone to
track down differences.

It would be helpful in general to be able to compare what you
built vs. a release version, to assemble binary only delta lists,
for preparations for upgrade tools, etc..

I keep meaning to do this, but I really don't want to have to
release the tool under the GPL, if I don't have to.

-- Terry