Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 02:47:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        james@nexis.net
Cc:        chuckr@mat.net, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggested change to apache port

 * This works, but in the specific case of p5-Apache, I required two things
 * that the patch didn't cover:
 *
 * - The ability to specify a double target ("clean patch") so that I know
 * I'm working off of clean source

I don't think that's what we really want to do.  The ports'
directories are supposed to have states, that only go forward unless
you explicitly type "make clean".  I don't know what's going to
happen, for instance, if you type "make install package" in
ports/www.

Actually I do know what's going to happen; apache will be built and
installed, p5-Apache will come and clean apache/work, build and
install itself, apache will be installed (again) and packaged (will
p5-Apache build in apache/work?  if that's so, this second
installation will be that of p5-Apache, not vanilla apache), then
p5-Apache will be packaged.

As you can see, this opens up a whole new can of worms.

 * - Putting it in DEPENDS instead of *_DEPENDS.

Yeah, as I said, that's only a temporary patch.  I didn't want to
duplicate code before I knew it was working. ;)

 * For now, I kludged it in to cd into ${PORTSDIR}/www/apache and do a make
 * clean patch rather than keep the requestor of the port waiting.

Let me repeat my original suggestion, that is to use as many of the
port files under apache as possible but build by yourself under
p5-Apache.  You can't really use the depend mechanism unless you are
(1) only moving forward, (i.e., if you specify "patch", you can use
the "build" or "install"ed state too), and (2) not changing anything
under the depended port's work/ subdir.

 * Still, as Chuck mentioned, these changes will make life a lot easier for
 * future ports (and some existing ones that do really ugly things right
 * now).

Let me know more about the ugliness.

Satoshi