Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 22:02:46 -0700
From:      kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net (Kevin Eliuk)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ghosts In The Machine

>> I was upgrading to 2.2.1 release from 2.1.7 release and on two occassions I
>> had strange failures :-?  On both occasions I was forced to shutdown and
>> boot /kernel.prev in order to replace my /etc dir. .
>
>You don't give any actual details to go on, so for generic "strange
>failures" I can only recommend a priest.  If you want a tech to help
>you with it, you need to give details. :-)

BAD habit of wanting to be brief. The down load was doing alot of timing out
although when I would ping there was normal reaction with the main server
(ftp.freebsd.org) and then I would re-attach and as prompted and the
transmission would slow down to a crawl and finally fail. Now the pc is not
responding to my login at all after a 3rd and I thought successful attempt.

>> After login: root I recieved some mighty strange messages. One was about bed
>> time stories that nightmares are made of ( I guess that was appropriate) the
>
>I think that was just fortune running.  It does by default for new users,
>I think.

Kevin