Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:25:42 -0800
From:      Andrew <andrew@violet.org>
To:        David Bein <bein@pyramid.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd and Solaris 2.x on x86 platforms ...

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 03:16:19PM -0500, David Bein wrote:

> Any chance you've managed to have NT and FreeBSD
> on the same disk? I am assuming that FreeBSD and
> Solaris probably take the same basic approach to
> bootstrapping. NT setup makes all kind of nasty assumptions
> and no matter which one loads first, I have found
> no load order where important stuff to the first
> one (NT or Solaris) is not overwritten badly by
> the second one. There are cases where I have
> been able to walk my way thru the Solaris device config
> floppy boot procedure without having to reload, but
> it is a very slow way to do it. I have not found
> a boot manager (except the Solaris one) which
> recognizes Solaris partitions.

David,

Yes, I have done this in the past with NTserver4build1381 & Freebsd_2.2.5
I would install NT on the first partition first, then install FreeBSD on
the second... I would actually recommend that you partition the disk first
with the FreeBSD `fdisk'.

> Where do I find out more about 'booteasy'?

booteasy can be installed from the FreeBSD install process,
right after you partition your disk... or manually from
/stand/sysinstall if you have already booted freebsd...
Enter the installer, -> Custom -> Partition -> Select Drive -> ...partitions...
-> [Q]uit -> Install Boot Manager? [BootMgr] -> (done)

Cordially,