Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 00:00:22 -0800
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        void <float@firedrake.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "iowait" CPU state

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 05:44:13AM +0000, void wrote:
> I've been using Solaris a lot lately, and I've noticed that in e.g.
> top's output, it has a distinct CPU state called "iowait", which seems
> to be a pretty good indicator of how I/O-bound a system is.  Is there
> any reason that FreeBSD doesn't have such a state?  "iostat" also seems
> a lot less informative than Sun's.  What should I be using to measure
> I/O utilization on FreeBSD?

From the iostat(8) man page:

SEE ALSO
     fstat(1),  netstat(1),  nfsstat(1),  ps(1),  systat(1),  pstat(8),
     vmstat(8)

What information are you looking for specifically?

Have a look at systat(1).  It presents the activity on your system
nicely, breaking it down into several descriptive categories which
are documented in the man page.

Try this:

$ systat -io

Hope that helps,