Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2005 06:40:18 GMT
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usb/74989: (regression) Lost USB support between 5.2.1-RELEASE and 5.3-RELEASE on K7T266 Pro2.

The following reply was made to PR usb/74989; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org, jpeg@thilelli.net
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 02:17:36 -0400

 On Thursday 14 April 2005 06:41 am, Julien Gabel wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I made some progress here. After playing with BIOS settings, i am now
 > able to:
 >  - Boot with ACPI enable (shutdown -p works as expected now);
 >  - Use USB devices.
 >
 > In order to do that, i had to totally disable "APIC Function" in the
 > BIOS. With "APIC Function" enabled, neither version 1.4 nor 1.1 of the
 > "MPS Table Version" settings solved my problem.
 >
 > So, although i meed to disable "APIC Function", all seems to works
 > correctly together: ACPI support and USB support. As a side note, i
 > did not encountered anymore the interrupt storm on the uhci USB host
 > controller driver.
 >
 > Maybe can someone explain me what may be wrong with "APIC Function",
 > and if there is some drawbacks to disable it (or what is the purpose
 > of this setting)?

 APIC is used to route interrupts differently.  You can also disable it from
 the loader with 'hint.apic.0.disabled=1'.  I've looked at your dmesg's, and
 the problem is that in the ACPI case the IRQ 10 that your USB controllers are
 using is configured as an ISA IRQ (edge/high).  For now you can either
 disable APIC or ACPI as a workaround until I figure out a better solution.