Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 1996 10:18:57 -0700
From:      Renaissance Man <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Subject:   Re: Will DTC 3274 controller work with FreeBSD?

Previously:
>I would avoid the 3274, even if it was to work with the 1542
>driver.  You best beat for stable operation would be to get
>a _real_ adaptec 1542CF.

Yes...  ...and I can get the 3274 for a LOT less money.  The only
Adaptec board in the same price range is one of the AVA series
(PIO, no smarts)...  :(  If I had all the money in the world, I
wouldn't have to consider the cheaper alternatives...  (That's
what a wife, two kids, a house and a minivan does to you!)  ;-)

[Re: IN2000]
>Nope, that is a PIO mode, zero intelegent, no bus master scsi
>controller.  Works fine for DOS, but makes a very poor unix
>controller.

Yes, I agree.  [Shrug]  But, I have it already and FWIW, it does
work with Linux...  The only thing I use it for is my Zip drive
and my musical sampler, so I just think of it as a high speed
serial port anyway...  ;-)

Thanks for your reply,
-Doug

Doug Wellington
doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
System and Network Administrator
US Geological Survey
Tucson, AZ Project Office
(602) 670-6821 x26

According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...

The hardest thing in the world is to truly think for oneself.  It is
amazing how many people have let angst replace their self confidence.