Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:34:27 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        Steve Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>, Anders Hagman <anders.hagman@netplex.se>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nat through two DSL

Nick Rogness wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Lars Eggert wrote:
>>What prevents you from picking one source address for packets going
>>out both interfaces? Your return packets won't be striped then of
>>course.  (Which could make this scheme ineffective, assuming "client"
>>machines receive much more than they send.)
>>

> 	Well, you can.  But the upstream provider has to be allowing you
> 	to route the other ADSL's IP through their network....probably not
> 	going to happen...unless you have some sort of BGP arrangement
> 	with them.  If you have BGP arrangements with them this would be a
> 	moot point.

Good point. I keep assuming that the Internet is a nicer place than it
really is. But source-based filtering sounds like one of the things
providers would do.

You could set up IP tunnels to get around this, but this assumes the
peer understands this, which makes it useless in the general case.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/larse/              University of Southern California