Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 14:39:12 -0700
From:      jivko@ijs.com
To:        Richard Laxton <richard@real.net.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: large number of file handles open

At 06:45 AM 6/16/97 +1000, Richard Laxton wrote:
>We ran into problems with Linux when we ran over about 125 virtual WWW
>servers on one machine because of Linux's static file limit of 255 files
>open. I just changed this limit and recompiled the Kernel and apache and
>things work perfectly. Are FreeBSD's file tables static like this or are
>they completely dynamic?

I think I have seen this in the FreeBSD FAQ. One needs to do the same -
recompile the kernel.

On another topic: Have any of you had any problems running FreeBSD on a
COMPAQ machine (P133)? I discovered yesterday that FreeBSD 2.1. would not
read the memory size properly and would use only 16MB on a COMPAQ machine
with 72MB. Recompiling the kernel with the memory size took care of the
problem, but I was wondering if it is just me or a typical problem with
COMPAQ.

Jivko
Regards,

Jivko Koltchev