Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:31:13 -0800
From:      Steve Goldstone <steveg@holontech.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intermittant network problem

Hi,

I just install FreeBSD version 2.1.6 and ran into a really wierd network
problem:  I can access other machines on the network (ping, telnet) from
the FreeBSD machine, but I can only intermittantly access the FreeBSD
machine from PCs and Sun machines.  Sometimes ping works, sometimes it
doesn't.  Telnet sometimes gets through but then freezes after logging
in; sometimes it does not get in.  NFS sometimes mounts stuff, sometimes
freezes.

The FreeBSD machine is an Intel Pentium 166, 3Com 3C509 NIC, Adaptec
2940 SCSI card, ATI Mach64 PCI video card, Seagate hard drive and SCSI
CD-ROM, 32 MB RAM.

The network is a mixed PC, Sun and NFS server network.  There are
multiple subnets; the project PCs, one Sun and the FreeBSD machine are
all on the same subnet.

We are really stumped.  Any suggestions?

/Steve Goldstone
(408) 369-4667